Tuesday, November 18, 2008

ode to will smith


I'm having a hard time focusing on anything right now, since my husband surprised me with a trip to South Beach this weekend! I can't stop humming Will Smith's "Going to Miami..." We've talked about taking this vacation for YEARS, and I suppose he decided we needed a celebrate our son's almost 1, late 5-year anniversary, early christmas present. 

I'm a born and bred Florida girl, so winters growing up were WARM. The current 38 degree weather in Nashville is helping get me oh-so-excited for the vaca! Back in the day I used to don a heavy wool overcoat with a hood when it hit the low 60's (seemed pretty chilly at the time)...I think I was jealous of the Northeastern preppy look. But these days I can't wait to put on short-sleeves again and sit outside for meals! Yay! 

Above is a picture by Paul Costello...this captures how I'm envisioning myself this weekend. Anyone with great recs for restaurants, please let me know! I'm having a hankering for some good Cuban food.

4 comments:

mojo said...

david's cafe off lincoln road is nice and homey

peurta sagua on washington is diner-like, but zagat rated and has it's charm

hopefully you are staying nearby

enjoy! wish it were me.

Unknown said...

Fabulous!!!!!!
And well deserved! Enjoy every minute!

Michelle
http://www.everydaycelebrating.com

Rebecca said...

I'm delurking to say I live in SoFla. Go to Michy's! It is awesome. I like Versailles for Cuban (lots of tourists, but is no less authentic). I think Miami's Zagat may have just come out, if you need more suggestions. I also suggest you stay away from the places on Ocean Drive or in the Lincoln Road Mall. The food tends to suck/be overpriced.

by Sara Hicks Malone said...

thanks for all these great recs and bon voyage wishes!